Sign Up  /  Login

The Red Brick Meeting House LbNA #9074 (ARCHIVED)

Owner:Queen B Contact Inactive
Plant date:Jul 7, 2004
Location:
City:Lebanon
County:New London
State:Connecticut
Boxes:1
Found by: The Shaw's
Last found:Sep 19, 2010
Status:FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFr
Last edited:Jul 7, 2004
missing as of 6/30/11





Planted by: Queen B and Callie

Rated: Easy

This box was conceived and researched by Callie. She also carved the stamp, which is her first solo carving. All I did was help with the clues! (Callie was 12 at the time of planting)

Nine men formed the original membership of the first Congregational Church of Lebanon in 1700. The first Meeting House was in a small barn, which served the congregation for 6 years. The town grew and so did the church and a larger building was needed. In 1722 steps were taken to build a larger Meeting House. The new Meeting House was 60 feet by 40 feet with a height of 26 feet. It served the people for over 75 years. Many stirring events took place within its doors including many meetings to protest the Boston Massacre. In 1802 the Meeting House needed repairs. The South Society decided to build a brick Meeting House according to the design made by John Trumbull. In September of 1938 the steeple had just been freshly painted and the numerals of the clock put in place when the hurricane hit Lebanon full force. The steeple came crashing down to the floor destroying the walls, leaving only the front facade intact. Wilbur Cross, Governor of Connecticut at the time, sent out a state-wide plea for money to help rebuild the Meeting House, and the plea was answered. Work was started to restore the old Meeting House as John Trumbull designed it. Work was interrupted by World War II, but resumed as materials became available. Work progressed slowly, but the 250th Anniversary Service was held in August 1950 with the building complete except for the spire. The final stage in the restoration of the Meeting House was the completion of the steeple in 1954. In 1958, the Fellowship House was added. This building adjoins that sanctuary and contains larger meeting rooms, dining hall, Sunday school rooms, offices and a beautiful Memorial Room. Today the Meeting House would be familiar to the members of the South Society of the early nineteenth century.

Directions:
Park behind the red brick Congregational Church in the center of town at the intersection of rt. 207 and rt. 87. This parking lot is shared by the local library.

Clues:
Start your search by going to the large oak tree near the entrance of the parking area off of West Town Street. Walk through the two wells towards the two steps. Continue to the bell. Read the inscription to learn more about the church's history. Notice the corner stone near the double doors. Now walk to the tree with the unusual growth. (Callie thinks it resembles a bear.) Follow the stone path to the front of the church. Take the time to read the plaques near the entrance and on the front of the building. Continue past the two eagles to the Trumbull monument. Follow the brick wall on your left to the large corner stone. Peek behind the mountain laurel and see a pile in the corner. Remove only the top stone to get to your prize.

This is a very busy area, so discretion is a must. As always, please rehide well.

The Jonathon Trumbull Library box, part of The Lebanon Loop, is very close by.

Happy hunting!