Houston Heritage LbNA # 13070
|Placed Date||Jan 14 2005|
|Found By||mo-grace (Attempted)|
|Last Update||Nov 27 2015|
Terrain Difficulty: Easy (flat, 200 yards RT)
In the summer of 1836, shortly after the Battle of San Jacinto, Augustus & John Allen offered Mrs. Elizabeth Parrott $5,000 for a half a league of the John Austin stake along Buffalo Bayou. The widow of John Austin, who was one of the "Old Three Hundred" colonists accompanying Stephen F. Austin, readily accepted. Thus, on August 30, 1836, the Allens purchased some 6,000 acres of land on the southern bank of the tree-lined, murky Buffalo Bayou, naming the site Houston, in honor of the man who had become the hero of the new republic. As the new century began in 1900, Mayor Sam Brashier bought the Kellem-Noble land and house on the edge of town to create Sam Houston Park –the city's first. Today, you can still enjoy this park thanks to the Houston Heritage Society. So come enjoy Houston's heritage while looking for this microbox.
There is free parking near Sam Houston Park by taking I45 north and taking the Allen Parkway exit to the left. Go west to Taft (first light), make a U-turn and come back up Allen Parkway. Go under I45 and immediately turn right into the lot adjacent to the Kellum-Noble House and park. If no parking is available you will have to try parking on other nearby streets or parking at Eleanor Tinsley Park on Allen Parkway and walking about .4 mile to the park.
Head north to Sam Houston Park and walk on the cement path past St. John Church. Turn right at the next path jct. and go to the Yates House. To the right is a garden with water running through it. Walk through the garden and across the water to the far side entrance. Turn right and walk on a dirt path with large granite rocks along the outside edge. Go to the 5th rock and look behind it for a small multi-trunk tree. The camo microbox is within the trunk under a rock. Please be discreet and re-cover well.