Pearadise LbNA # 13071
|Placed Date||Jan 14 2005|
|Last Found||Jan 6 2012|
Terrain Difficulty: Easy (flat, 100 yards RT)
Recommended Ink: brown & yellow
South of Houston, a siding switch on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway became the community of Mark Belt in 1882, but the name was soon changed to Pearland in November of that year because of the abundance of pear trees in the community. Pearland was promoted by the Christensen Land Corporation and Allison-Richey Suburban Garden Company as an "agricultural Eden" until the Galveston hurricane of 1900 destroyed fruit trees and slowed growth for a period of time. The town managed to survive and today is a quiet community on the outskirts of Houston. Independence Park is one of its finest refuges and is home to this microbox, so come to "Pearadise" and enjoy.
From Houston, take Hwy 288 south to FM 518 and go east for about 6 miles to Pearland. Turn right on Main Street (Hwy 35) for about 1 mile, then left on John Lizer Road for another mile, then right into Independence Park. From Beltway 8 you can take the Pearland Parkway south to John Lizer Road, then left for .2 mile and right into park. In the park, turn right at the first stop sign onto a one-way road and go to the 4th parking area (3rd parking area on the right), as the road curves left.
From parking area walk northeast toward the creek at 60 degrees for about 70 steps to a large 4-trunk tree. Continue toward the creek at 80 degrees for about 20 steps to a tree at the edge of the creek with a large hollow on its left side. The camo microbox is inside the hollow under sticks and a rock. Please be discreet and re-cover well.