Powell Butte - Bombardier Beetle LbNA # 13821
|Owner||Double Tree |
|Placed Date||Mar 11 2005|
|Found By||Hiking Hearts |
|Last Update||Feb 8 2008 |
Powell Butte - Incredible Animals - Bombardier Beetle
Designer: The Cheetah You Can't Beatah
Status: Alive and well.
Last reported: 06/06/05.
Hitchhiker friendly? Yes.
Child friendly? Yes.
Wheelchair friendly? No.
Time: 10 minutes from startpoint.
12/2/05 If you are saying to yourself "I thought Grow in Grace placed this box" -- you are right. They have moved, so I've adopted their 4 boxes for them, but all credit goes to them for carving and placement. Would love to hear all comments on box condition -- Double Tree.
Bombardier beetles are remarkable creatures. They earned their name from their ability to defend themselves against predators by firing a mixture of boiling-hot toxic chemicals from special glands in their posterior. For our purposes, they are at home among the roots of the trees, with branches and bark for their covering.
Recommended Equipment and links:
1. Beetle Identification: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/422599.stm
2. Map: http://www.portlandparks.org/NaturalAreas/PowellButte.htm
3. Bible: http://www.bible.advocate.net/online.html (select "Detect Network Settings")
4. Protective clothing for Stinging Nettles: http://www.naturepark.com/snettle.htm
Start at the (1)___________ end of, and proceed along, (2)___________(3)___________ trail.
When you enter the forest take about 120 steps until the trail splits.
Take the (4)___________ hand fork for an additional 175 steps until you are adjacent to a (5)___________ tree on a large mound to your right.
From that point, face 324 degrees magnetic and you will see the elevated manhole on the north side of the service road.
Now turn 180 degrees and take 10 steps forward. You will see two large maple trees with the same (6)___________ system.
The Beetle's home is very near.
(1) In the dream of Jacob's ladder, what is the 3rd direction mentioned when the LORD God blessed Jacob saying "and in thy seed shall all the families of the earth be blessed."
(2) What Esau was to Jacob.
(3) James asked, "Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive ___________?" (singular of this word)
(4) When blessing Joseph's sons, which hand did Jacob place on Ephraim?
(5) Behemoth "moveth his tail like a ___________".
(6) "For the love of money is the ___________ of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."
(1) Genesis 28:14
(2) Genesis 25:23
(3) James 3:12
(4) Genesis 48:14
(5) Job 40:17
(6) I Timothy 6:10
Note: All scripture from King James Version