Mine Ore LbNA # 21507
|Owner||jb kokopelli |
|Placed Date||Apr 17 2006|
This box was replaced 6-6-12 in a new location
Directions: The city of Rusk only has one traffic light, which is located on Highway 69. On Highway 69, you will need to travel south from this traffic light towards Alto. It is approximately 2.3 miles from the traffic light to a historical marker. The marker has a brown sign and is located on the right side of Highway 69 South. You will need to park in the area by the historical marker. This is one of my favorite sites around Rusk and is the site of the Tassie Belle and Star and Crescent Iron Ore Furnaces for the town of New Birmingham. The historical marker has a lot of information about the history of this area. This is a rather "natural" area so dress appropriately and be on the look out for poison ivy and snakes.
1. Behind the historical marker is a wooden post (actually 2 posts close together). With your back to the posts, you sill see a rustic trail. Follow the trail approximately 18 paces (pace is equal to about 3 feet for me)
2. At this point, there is a large dead tree across the trail. Go across the trail and continue on this trail for another 55 paces.
3. You should be standing near a medium pine tree on your left. Look to your left and you will see a series of brick walls from the old furnaces. Feel free to look around these brick walls but make sure to come back to this spot to continue the hunt.
4. From the medium pine tree, go to the last brick wall. From this spot, you should be able to see a chain link fece on the hill. Walk to the chain link fence.
5. This is the water cistern area. Now with your back to the sign, and standing in front of the sign, take 11 paces to a very large boulder. Then take another 11 paces in the same direction to a large piece of brick wall.
6. With your back to the brick wall, you will notice a small trail to your left. Take this trail for 18 paces and you should be outside of a large pit with a large stone in it called the "pigging area." Once you are at the pigging area, look across it for a small cedar and to the right of that one is another cedar. The box is under that second cedar.. Be careful of poison ivy and snakes.
Please recover this box well becuase there are a lot of kids that come here to party. Contact me and let me know the condition of the box. ENJOY!!!