Message In A Bottle (OBX) LbNA # 21664
|Placed Date||Apr 16 2006|
|Found By||Fins to the Left|
|Last Found||Aug 12 2007|
I have sort of a list of "Fifty Things to Do Before I Die" and on that list is finding a message in a bottle. Maybe you will find one before I do!
This letterbox is located in Buxton Woods. To get to the trail head take Route 12 in Buxton 0.8 miles south of the water tower and turn left on to Water Association Road. Go to the end of this road where it makes a 90 degree turn with Great Ridge Road. Park off the road here and find the trail head on the SW side of this turn, by the road sign.
There are other letterboxes along this trail … starting with Biggest Sandcastle Ever, then OBX-Buxton, Maggie’s First Fish, Message in a Bottle, Hatteras Hurricanes and U-Boat, not to mention "Shell at Great Bridge" on a nearby trail.
(You can probably figure this out without actually finding Maggie's Fish if you walk the trail ... some of the clues are mosre distinct than others, although there are few really obvious landmarks on this trail)
• From the Maggie’s Fish letterbox
• Go up a small rise
• Then go downhill along a fallen tree
• You’ll come to a false “T” (either way takes you down the same steep dune)
• The trail turns left at the bottom of this dune
• The trail goes fairly flat along a sedge (wet area)
• The trail then snakes along gently and then
• Come to a PILE OF SAWED LOGS on the left
• Stop here
• Take 25 steps to the East off the trail heading to a 3 foot stump by a long log
• The letterbox is in the stump
• Reseal, rehide, reweight!