Orangedale Station LbNA # 22199 (ARCHIVED)
|Placed Date||May 14 2006|
|County||Nova Scotia, CAN|
** This box is alive and well as of 22 Jul 09!**
The Orangedale Station is the only one still in existence of the original dozen Intercolonial Railway Stations built in Cape Breton to provide shelter and services to the traveling public on the new railroad constructed in the 1880's and early 1890's. The station was located at what had previously been a farming community. In the early 1990’s a group of local folks lobbied for and earned permission to restore the station and the various rolling stock to its former grandeur. The museum displays various pieces of rolling stock, a small diesel locomotive and a boxcar. The ground floor of the station has a replica of the original agent's office and waiting room and includes a small model railway.
The museum is open from 1 Jun through mid October, but the grounds (and the box) are accessible year-round.
***Found alive and well 13 Nov 07***
From TC 105, take exit 4 south towards Orangedale. Find the railroad station. Pull in and park.
Look on the north side.
Between the ties.
Under the rail.
Please bring your own ink and pen.
Have fun, eh?