Henry's Chapel LbNA # 22540 (ARCHIVED)
|Placed Date||May 27 2006|
In 1848 William Porter Henry, a Presbyterian minister, moved to Cherokee County to Preach the Gospel. In 1854, Tennessean investors, bought land near his home and established the community of Knoxville. A thriving community until 1872.when the International and Great Northern Railroads decided to bypass Knoxville for Troup. Even though business and other needs made the local farmers travel to Troup, they decided to stay in the community. A church, school and cemetery were made possible through the donation of land by Rev. Henry. Due to new highways and school consolidation, the cemetery is the only original reminder of the community. Today, the church is Methodist, but is named for Rev. Henry.
Stamp carved by PSGuru
Placed by Blue Butterfly
Directions: From Troup, take FM 13 East 6 miles to Henry’s Chapel (on left)
Park and walk to entrance of Cemetery. Walk straight on path until it becomes a “T”.
Stop in front of shed and turn left. Look for Daisy Master's headstone. Behind the headstone is a large bush where the box is located. Please re-hide well.