Rockland Breakwater Light LbNA # 22968
|Found By||BagaduceMom |
|Last Update||Jul 25 2013 |
TERRAIN: Easy Stroll
TIME: Less Than 30 Min.
STATUS: Available, back in place January 2012.
By the latter part of the 19th century, Rockland, Maine had become a major industrial port protection for shipbuilding, lime processing, granite quarrying, commercial fishing and lobstering. After several nor’easters inflicted substantial damage to the harbor, it became apparent that a breakwater and lighthouse were needed for. In 1880, the Rockland Breakwater project was approved by Congress. Between 1881 and 1899, the Granite Company quarried almost 700,000 tons of granite, mostly from Vinalhaven Island, to build an almost mile long jetty. As work progressed, a small moveable beacon was relocated further out with each completed section. In 1902, a lighthouse was erected at the breakwater’s end. It consisted of a wood and brick keeper’s house and an engine room with an attached 25 ft brick light tower. The fourth order Fresnel lens was lit for the first time on October 30, 1902. The Coast Guard owned the lighthouse from 1942 until the light was automated in 1965. The city of Rockland took ownership of the lighthouse in 1998 under the Maine Lights Program. It is also on the National Register of Historic Places. “Friends of the Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse”, a chapter of the American Lighthouse Foundation, are restoring the interior of the lighthouse.
Going north out of Rockland, turn right onto Waldo Avenue from Route 1. Take another right onto Samoset Avenue which dead ends at the Marie H. Reed Breakwater Park. Be sure to allow some time to walk the breakwater to the lighthouse. It's great exercise and a good vantage point to watch the boats coming in and out of the harbor. On the weekend of Schooner Days, it's a must if you're in the area! Great place for mackerel fishing too.
Follow the path to the breakwater. Take a respite beside Rosa rugosa and pay your respects to Mrs. Beaumont and her children. Don't despair the great white wall behind; for the corner circle of five belies this breakwater box.