Sanitas Is My Home LbNA # 25314
|Placed Date||Sep 5 2006|
|Found By||Happy Journeyers |
|Last Update||Apr 10 2009 |
Mt. Sanitas Trail is a fantastically popular Boulder hike because of its easy access and great work out - this trail is a pilgrimage that I frequent weekly. It's literally a stair climb, which is why I am only putting the box 1/3 to 1/2 way up the trail.
Mt. Sanitas Trail is West on Mapleton past Fourth Street on the edge of Sunshine Canyon. There is parking on the North side of Mapleton at two trailheads as well as on the South side of Mapleton a bit past the trailhead. Mt. Sanitas is a
loop. You will take the left side hike - not the more gently Mt. Sanitas Valley Trail - to hike up to the letterbox.
- Hike up Mt. Sanitas Trail .75 miles (20 - 30 minutes depending upon your speed) until you come to the first overlook on the Bouder side (there are perhaps two sort-of-overlooks prior but when you get to the one that really overlooks Boulder, in that it offers a wide open view of the entire city, you'll know it).
- You'll get to a lower access first, which has a branch placed across it to discourage hikers from taking that route to the overlook. Don't get off the trail here.
- Stay on the trail to access the overlook at the top of that section of rock stairs (at the top of the stairs, the trail actually joins the overlook), but instead of turning right to the overlook, turn left up a faint psuedo-path.
- Walk about 12 paces until that path forks.
- At the fork, look left at the three huge boulders.
- The box is under the smallest of these huge boulders.