Watermelon Capital LbNA # 29058
|Placed Date||Mar 4 2007|
|Last Found||Oct 23 2011|
|Last Edited||Sep 14 2015|
Replaced stamp (03/11/07)
Terrain Difficulty: Easy (flat, 200 yards RT)
Recommended Ink: red & green
Status: reported missing (8/2/14)
SPECIAL THANKS TO BABY BEAR FOR HELP REPLACING THE STAMP
The town of Hempstead was founded in 1856 by Dr. Richard Rodgers Peebles and James W. McDade. It started out as a cotton town, but produce shipping and truck hauling gradually replaced cotton due to Hempstead's location on the Southern Pacific Railroad and the convergence of state and federal highways. It was the largest shipper of watermelons in the United States until the 1940s and became known as the Watermelon Capital Of Texas. This letterbox honors their accomplishment and can be found at the City Park.
From Houston, travel northwest on Hwy 290 about 50 miles to Hempstead. Exit and turn left on Hwy 6, then right on Zach, which should be the first street to the right. Zach will dead-end into Blasingame, then turn left and go just a short way to City Park on the left. Park in the first lot.
Find the asphalt path and go left, walking clockwise about 100 yards to the northeast corner of the park. Look left for a large dead tree standing next to a live one about 10 steps off trail. The camo microbox is in a hollow about 4 feet high under bark and a rock. Please rehide well.