History of Rathdrum No 1 LbNA # 35505 (ARCHIVED)
|Placed Date||Sep 24 2007|
|Last Found||Jul 17 2008|
History of Rathdrum No. 1
Rathdrum once served as the crossroads for the area, joining a wagon roadfrom the Coeur d'Alene Mining district to rail
traffic on the Great Northern
railroad. In 1860, a pony express mail route connecting Walla Walla with Missoula maintained a rest stop here. Rathdrum is one of the oldest towns in North Idaho and was the Kootenai County seat for 25 years.
Located in the old City Park of Rathdrum is the town's first fire bell. It was made by in Troy, New York in 1897. Read the front and feel free to ring it for old time's sake.
Stand behind the bell with the great view of Rathdrum Mountain. Go 16 steps to the creek. Follow the creek upstream to the old vehicle bridge with 5 yellow barriers. Count 10 steps northeast and stop at two large willow trees. Go around the trees to the creek side and find the letter box at the base intersection of the two trees.
Be secretive as this is a popular public park.