Trinity UMC LbNA # 37344
|Placed Date||Jan 1 2008|
Recognized founders John Wesley (1703–1791) and brother Charles (1707–1788), mark the origin of Methodism in England. Both John and Charles were Church of England missionaries to the colony of Georgia in 1736.
Organized Methodism in America began as a lay movement. To strengthen the Methodist work in the colonies, John Wesley sent four of his lay preachers in 1769. Additionally, some Methodists in the colonies also answered the call to become lay preachers in the movement.
The American Revolution had a profound impact on Methodism. In December 1784, the famous Christmas Conference of preachers was held in Baltimore to chart the future course of the movement in America. It was at this gathering that the movement became organized as The Methodist Episcopal Church in America.
As The Methodist Episcopal Church was in its infancy, another church was being formed. The Church of the United Brethren in Christ preached an evangelical message similar to the Methodists. These two churches were to unite with each other in 1968 to form The United Methodist Church.
The Cross and flame is the official symbol of the United Methodist Church. Adopted shortly after the merger of The Methodist Church (USA) and the Evangelical United Brethren Church. It relates The United Methodist Church to God through Christ (cross) and the Holy Spirit (flame). The two tongues of a single flame may also be understood to represent the union of two denominations.
Bring your own ink.
Level of terrain difficulty: super easy
Time required after parking: 1 minute
The Trinity United Methodist Church (TUMC) is located in Huxley, Iowa, on the northwest corner of Hwy. 69 and N. Main Ave.
• To get to the church from Hwy. 69, turn southwest on N. Main Ave., and then turn west on Lynwood Dr.
• Turn right into the TUMC parking lot and park at the northwest corner of the church, at the end of a row of low-lying, green shrubs.
• You should see a downspout on the corner of the church and a pile of bricks at its base to the left of the last bush. The letterbox is behind the bush, between it and the church wall.