Fort Concho LbNA # 38484
|Placed Date||Mar 20 2008|
|Location||San Angelo, TX|
|Last Update||Mar 3 2012|
Terrain Difficulty: Easy (flat, 100 yards RT)
Recommended Ink: brown
Established in 1867, along the banks of the Concho River, Fort Concho was built to protect frontier settlements, patrol and map the vast West Texas region, and quell hostile threats in the area. In June 1889, the last soldiers marched away and the fort was deactivated. Today, Fort Concho is a National Historic Landmark and encompasses most of the former Army post, which includes twenty-three original and restored structures. This minibox is dedicated to the fort, but is located in San Angelo State Park, another great place to visit.
From San Angelo, take Hwy 67 south to FM 2288, turn right and go a few miles to the south shore entrance on the right. Pay fee, get a map and go straight to the road by restrooms on left, turn left here then left again and park at the Chaparral Group Shelter.
Walk northwest across the road you just came in on to the multi-use trail head. After just 10 steps or so turn right at the jct and walk about 40 steps. Look left for 2 small juniper bushes surrounding a thorn bush about 10 steps off trail. The camo minibox is within the trunk of the far juniper, covered by a rock and needles. Please re-cover well.