Underground World LbNA # 38560
|Placed Date||Mar 26 2008|
|Found By||Arrowaway |
|Last Update||Sep 30 2013 |
Lafayette and Mary Miller moved to the Lafayette area in 1871 and began farming on land they acquired through the Homestead Act. In 1884, coal was discovered on the Miller Farm. The first shaft was sunk by John Simpson in 1887, heralding the beginning of coal mining in the area. Mary Miller platted 150 acres for the town of Lafayette in 1888 which she named for her late husband. From the late 1880s until the 1930s, Lafayette was a major coal town. Mines in and around Lafayette, Louisville, Erie, Superior, and Marshall were suppliers of fuel for heating and power along the Front Range. Some mines in this Boulder-Weld county coal field continued production for several more decades, but the industry passed its peak before the Second World War as natural gas for heating became widely used and as better grades of coal from more distant mines became economically competitive. The Simpson Mine Park was named after the old mine close to the park site.
(Information taken from the Historic Preservation Board and the City of Lafayette, Colorado)
DIRECTIONS TO THE SIMPSON MINE PARK, LAFAYETTE, CO.
From HWY 287 turn east onto South Boulder Road. Go north onto Public Road. Turn east on Simpson Street from Public Road. Simpson Mine Park is located at 700 E. Simpson Street at the corner of Foote Avenue and Simpson Street.
CLUES TO THE UNDERGROUND WORLD LETTERBOX
Start at the multi colored pillars. Take a moment to look inside at the mining miniatures. Head down the long corridor and look for a rock with a round hole. Go through the hole and find the picnic table by the trash can. Over the wall and over a small hill is your buried treasure. Find a rust colored grate. Stand on the grate facing the wall and turn to your right. Walk 2 steps and find a flat red rock. Look under the rock. Happy mining!!!