A Boatnik Birthday LbNA # 40303
|Placed Date||May 25 2008|
|Location||Grants Pass, OR|
|Found By||Gilbertson Gang (Attempted) |
|Last Update||Jul 26 2014 |
This box is found at All Sports Park, now known as Reinhart Volunteer Park. See the clues to SPORTS FAN for directions and a description of the park if you are not from this area.
We placed this series of boxes as an activity for my son to do on his birthday. The area is handicap accessible and took only 15 minutes to place all three boxes once the clues were written, though it will take you longer, of course, to find them. Bring your own ink pad.
NOTE: Nine of our boxes in this park have turned up missing. PLEASE be discreet in your searching...no loud discussion of clues, exclamations when you find the box, stamping near the hiding spot, etc. Remember, SNEAKY-SNEAKY! A Boatnik Birthday: Count the Candles was in place in April 2012. I saw no poison oak in the area, but blackberries may be present.
Box #1: Count the Candles THIS BOX MAY BE MISSING AS OF JULY 2014.
1. From the larger playground, head toward the small playground nearby. Continue along the sidewalk until you pass the Mark Brandt Wall of Fame.
2. Across the road, take the first bridge over the pond. On a sunny day be sure to look for the turtles sunning themselves on a log.
3. You have every RIGHT to wander across another bridge, but I wouldn't.
4. DID YOU KNOW that Diversity = Stability? IF YOU SEE a wooden walkway over the wetlands, you won't be LEFT behind.
5. Dum-dee-dum-dee-dum...walkin' along...what's that??? For a moment, those three gray-green bumpy things lined up on the ground reminded me of an alligator. But I guess we won't see any of those in this wetland area! Even if it did look like it could scramble down the bank and make its nest RIGHT under a log, protected by blackberries. YIKES!
Remember: Sneaky-sneaky! Move away to do your stamping. Please be sure nobody is watching when you re-hide this box.
Box #2: Decorate THIS BOX IS CURRENTLY MISSING.
1. Begin at the small parking lot between the pedestrian bridge and the volleyball area.
2. I wrote this code using the RIGHT key. (Or is that key--board?) Contact the Placer if you need help deciphering the clue. I don't want YOU to feel LEFT out.
gp;;pe yjr sd[js;y [syj yp
yjr tohjy pg yjr dysotd
;rsfomh i[ yp yjr [rfrdytosm
;ppl nr;pe yjr gpityj jpidr
sy yjr nsdr pg s ;sthr
Box #3: Surprise! THIS BOX IS CURRENTLY MISSING.
1. Start near the Home Valley Bank picnic shelter between the pedestrian bridge and the main pond.
2. Follow the bark covered pathway toward the American Legion baseball field. That would be downriver, with the stadium lights above the outfield. You should be able to see a large nesting platform for osprey at the top of one of the light poles.
3. If you didn't bring a compass, you can figure this next clue out by doing some star-gazing--even in the daylight! Look between two green posts to the SW. Take about 95 steps to a small maple tree. (A small detour may be required. In that case, just estimate the number of steps and look for a small maple tree nearest the SW.) Your box is under the fir tree across the path and to your left. Look carefully under the sticks and needles. If people are walking nearby, perhaps you could pretend to be calling your lost dog. Remember: Sneaky-sneaky!
Please re-seal carefully.
WE'VE HAD SIX BOXES DISAPPEAR FROM THIS PARK! PLEASE RE-HIDE CAREFULLY, COMPLETELY OUT OF SIGHT.