Sugar Land  LbNA # 4316

OwnerSilver Eagle      
Placed DateJun 11 2003
CountyFort Bend
LocationSugar Land, TX
Boxes1
Found ByMoralesfamily5
Last UpdateJun 27 2014

Clues

Replaced/relocated (03/26/04), replaced stamp (08/23/04), replaced log (04/04/05), replaced log (05/02/07), replaced container (09/27/08)
Terrain Difficulty: Easy (flat, 400 yards RT)
Status: alive



The land in and about the City of Sugar Land was originally owned by the Mexican government and was granted to Samuel M. Williams through Stephen F. Austin. Williams called this land "Oakland Plantation" because there were many different varieties of oaks on the land. Sugar became a part of life in the area when S. M. Swinson, captain of a small freight boat, delivered sugar cane stalks from Cuba to Williams. The cane flourished and soon a sugar mill was built to squeeze the juice from the stalks. After the death of Samuel Williams, the family sold the mill to Benjamin Franklin Terry and William Jefferson Kyle. In 1853, they also purchased the "Oakland Plantation" from the Williams family and the land, rich in sugar cane, was appropriately renamed "Sugar Land". The Sugar Land plantation passed through other hands in years to follow and was finally purchased by I. H. Kempner and W. T. Eldridge in 1907, at which time the sugar refining process was expanded. Today, the refinery is located approximately on the spot where the first mill was built and Sugar Land is still the home of Imperial Holly Corporation, one of the nation's largest producers and marketers of refined sugar and the oldest continuously operating business in the state of Texas. Sugar Land has grown but still remains a nice place to live with many parks to play in. One of the best is Oyster Creek Park, which contains a hike & bike trail, picnic tables and this letterbox.

Directions:
Sugar Land is located about 20 miles southwest of Houston via Hwy 59, and Oyster Creek Park is located at 4033 State Highway 6 South. From Hwy 59, exit Hwy 6 and go south a mile or so past Lexington, Williams Trace then Settlers Way Blvd. The park will be on the left (east).

Clues:
From the parking area, walk across the bridge to the pond straight ahead with a fountain. Go right on the concrete path and continue on the asphalt path for about 200 yards. You will pass a wildflower area and a sign saying "Cyclist Must Yield" on the right, then arrive at the back of another "Cyclist" sign on the left. You will be about 20 yards from a sign saying "1/4 Mile". At the back of the "Cyclist" sign return back down the path the way you came for about 12 steps. Look to the right a few steps off the trail for a large two-trunk tree with two smaller trees and a post just to the left of it. The camo microbox is buried on the back side of the large tree between the two trunks under some rocks & dirt. Please re-cover well when done.