Fort Inge LbNA # 47793
|Owner||Baby Bear |
|Placed Date||May 26 2009|
|Found By||Road Junkies (Attempted) |
|Last Update||Jan 23 2012 |
Distance to Minibox: 5 yards
Status of Minibox: Alive and Well
*** Old West Fort Series ***
The "Fort Inge" Minibox is located in Fort Inge Historical Park, south of Uvalde. No building are still standing, but some ruins exist along with many signs laying out the building locations. There are many picnic tables, and plenty or area to walk around. Fort Inge was established on March 13, 1849 on the left bank of the Leon River, above the crossing, to protect the great inland commercial routes. Established by Captain Sidney Burbank, 1st US Infantry. The post was named for First Lt. Zebulon M.P. Inge, 2nd Dragoons, killed on May 9, 1846 at the battle of Resaca de la Palma. Abandoned on May 24, 1855, but regarrisoned intermittently until March 19, 1861, when it was evacuated by Federal Troops. Occupied by Confederate Troops during the Civil War, then reoccupied by Federal Troops in 1866. Abandoned for good on February 28, 1869.
From Hwy 90, go south on Hwy 83, then left on Hwy 117, then left on FM 140. Go 1.5 miles, then turn right (sign just before turn). Go down to metal sign for Fort Inge, and go left until you reach the entry gate. Park in or out of gate, as box is by gate.
To the Minibox:
Walk inside the gate, and on right side there are 2 large rocks. Box is under the rocks.