Ye Ole Jail LbNA # 49164
|Placed Date||Jul 15 2009|
Ye Ole Jail Museum is in the same building as the Chamber of Commerce. 114 W. Central Ave., Jamestown, TN 38556
The town of Jamestown used to be called Sand Springs because of bubbling sand springs that furnished water for travelers, pioneers, and Indians. The surviving part of the springs is in the Mark Twain Park on N. Main St.
John M. Clemens, the father of Samuel L. Clemens (aka Mark Twain)was one of the town commissioners who prepared plans for the first jail and courthouse.
The only witchcraft case in Tennessee was tried here in 1835.
The museum is open Mon-Fri 8-4. Go behind the building. Stand on the brown gravel ledge facing 2 bushes behind the bldg. Walk to the one on the left. Count 3 paving stones from the left corner of the ledge (top level). Box is behind the stone. Remove and replace carefully.