Camp Montel LbNA # 51639
|Placed Date||Nov 27 2009|
|Found By||Simmons girls|
|Last Found||Jun 23 2013|
Distance to Minibox: 20 yards
Status of Minibox: Alive and Well
*** Other Forts of the West Series ***
The "Camp Montel" Minibox is located near Tarpley, Texas, along the banks of the Rio Hondo. Camp Montel was a Confederate States of America Camp established as a frontier defense line, between Camp Verde and Camp Dix. It was located at the head of Seco Creek, and established by james M Norris in March 1862. It was manned by rangers under command of Charles De Montel until March 1864. In 1870 DeMontel located another Camp Montel on the Nueces River, below Camp Wood, where later town of Montel was located. In 1880 and 1881 Company G of the First Texas Volunteer Cavalry was organized and named the Montel Guards, and consisted of 37 men and a store. A historical marker for Camp Montel is located at the Bandera County Courthouse in Bandera.
From Bandera, go west on Hwy 16 for a few miles, then left on RR 470 to Tarpley. Continue on 470, looking for Rio Hondo Rd on your right. Turn right on this road, and go up and over the pass, then down to the Rio Hondo bridge. Do not cross, but stop on the right.
To the Minibox:
To the right of the bridge is a red pole, and right of it is a small cedar tree on the rise. The microbox is hanging on the back side of this cedar, about 5feet up. Take a look at the river below, great view from here!!!