Goose Hunting Capital LbNA # 52121
|Placed Date||Jan 30 2010|
|Location||Eagle Lake, TX|
|Last Found||Mar 2 2012|
Terrain Difficulty: Easy (flat, 30 yards RT)
Eagle Lake was part of Stephen F. Austin's original land grant along the east side of the Colorado River. It probably got its name when one of Austin's scouts killed an eagle on the lake and called the water Laguna del Águila. Sugarcane was the main crop grown in the early 1800's, but by the end of the century rice had taken its place. The growing of rice on the prairies surrounding the town has attracted a vast number of ducks and geese to the area, and the resulting fine hunting prompted Eagle Lake to be proclaimed the "Goose Hunting Capital of the World". You can find this letterbox dedicated to Eagle Lake at the Lakeside Cemetery.
From I10 in Columbus, go south on Hwy 71 for about 10 miles to Hwy 90. Go east for about 9 miles to Eagle Lake. Turn right (southwest) on FM 102 (Lakeside Dr.) for about .6 mile to Lakeside Cemetery on the right. Drive in first entrance and go all the way to the end where it bends left and park by the Scotka tombstone on the right.
From left of the Scotka tombstone, walk away from the road 19 steps to a large tree with a bush behind it, passing the Hough tombstone on the way. The letterbox is behind the tree next to the bush under rocks and leaves. Please replace as described and enjoy the view of the Lake while stamping in.