Sam Houston Oak LbNA # 52410
|Placed Date||Mar 5 2010|
|Last Update||Apr 8 2010|
Terrain Difficulty: Easy (flat, 20 yards RT)
Recommended Ink: brown & green
On March 13, 1836, Sam Houston and his army awaited word from the Alamo while staying in the town of Gonzales. When he heard the sad news that everyone had died, he ordered the town burned and lead his army east. They marched all night, crossing Peach Creek at Bartholomew McClure's plantation at dawn. The general called a stop for breakfast and rested by an oak tree as stragglers continued to arrive from nearby towns. The oak was later named the Sam Houston Oak and you can visit it, along with this microbox, just outside Gonzales.
From the town of Gonzales, go east on Hwy 90A for 8 miles to CR 361, where a grey historical marker talks about the oak. Turn left and go 0.3 mi to the entrance for the McClure-Braches House on the left and park by gate. The Sam Houston Oak is on the left of the drive.
While facing gate, turn right and follow the white metal fence to its end where it meets a barbed wire fence. The microbox is inside the top pipe behind a rock. Please replace as described.