A Toast to Berlin LbNA # 53440
|Placed Date||May 9 2010|
Distance to Letterbox: 10 yards
**** Part of the Immigrants of Texas Series ******
This box is dedicated to the German imagrants that settled and founded Berlin, Texas. They first came to the area in 1848, settled by the Hoffmann family, who purchased 156 acres of land. Two of the sons served in the Confederacy, and later 2 came home to build a Gin-gristmill. Most of early Berlin melded into Brenham, and by 1980 the location of Berlin was marked only by the Eben-Ezer Luthern Church and the cemetery. There is a historical marker in front of the church, and the cemetery graves date from the 1850's.
From Hwy 290, go south on Berlin Road South for about 1/4 mile to the church on the right. Turn in the driveway before the chuch, and go straight back on the dirt road to back of cemetery. Go right on back road, then right again at fence and park there by 1st tree on left (you should find the tombstone for Henry Neumann, Jr on other side of dirt roadway). Box is behind this tree, on ground under large cement block.