Wendish LbNA # 56587 (ARCHIVED)
|Placed Date||Nov 25 2010|
|Last Found||Jul 31 2011|
|Last Edited||Sep 14 2015|
Distance to letterbox: 50 yards
****** BOX REPORTED MISSING ************
**** Part of the Emigrants of Texas Series ******
In December of 1854, the Ben Nevis sailing ship docked in Galveston bringing 500 immigrants from Lusatia, and new language of "Wendish" to Texas. The came in search of religious liberty and the right to use their native language. Rev Jan Kilian led the group out of Germany, losing about 100 along the way. After arriving in Galveston, and fighting off a Yellow Fever epidemic, then moved on to Houston. From Houston they traveled via oxcart in January 1855 to their new home along Rabbs Creek. They set aside 95 acres of land for the new Lutheran church and school. About a mile north they build their new town, which they named Serbin. This was to be the capital of "Wendenland".
From Giddings, go southwest on FM 448 to RM 2239. Turn right and go to the Wendish Heritage Museum on the left. Turn left and park near buildings.
To the Letterbox:
Walk down sidewalk toward main Museum building. About half way, go right through grass to the wooden building (has door in the middle of porch). Go around to the back side and stand in the middle. Find the flat big rock at base. Look on the left side of that rock, behind small rocks to find the box.