Recess Bell LbNA # 56623
|Placed Date||Nov 29 2010|
|Found By||NLW |
|Last Update||Mar 1 2013 |
The New Wehdem School was in operation from 1870-1951 educating children of all ages at this site. The school building has been completely refurbished and is used by St. James Lutheran Church.
From Brenham, take HWY 36 S. Before the Austin County line, make a right onto New Wehdem Rd. Travel approximately 3 miles to St. James Lutheran Church, 10362 New Wehdem Rd. Be careful, though to stay on New Wehdem Rd., as the road makes many curves and bends. Park in the small gravel lot in front on the church, and walk up to the New Wehdem School site, which has been fully restored. Peeking into the windows gives one a glimpse back in time to the early days of education. Now, get back in your vehicle, and follow the gravel road behind the church to the cemetery. Park at the pine tree that contains the water faucet. Walk 100 steps S/SE to the back cemetery barbed wire fence. Locate the forked cedar tree. The recess bell is ringing in the cavity of the forked cedar about 3 foot off the ground. It is concealed by sticks. Please be careful to rehide well and not drop the box to the bottom of the tree’s cavity.