Texas Hospitality LbNA # 57001
|Placed Date||Feb 15 2011|
|Found By||Giant Eyeball! (Attempted)|
|Last Update||Aug 7 2013|
Terrain Difficulty: Easy (flat, 1 mile RT)
Recommended Ink: brown
As the year 1936 approached and plans for celebrating the centennial of Texas’ independence from Mexico developed, members of San Jacinto Chapter, The Daughters of the Republic of Texas, decided to build a log house that could be used as a hospitality center for many of the activities that were to take place. The women decided that as a tribute to their pioneer ancestors, a log house would be the most fitting kind of structure they could build. Despite the difficult economic times, they raise all of the funds for the structure and it was dedicated on March 2, 1936, the 100th anniversary of Texas Independence. Today it sits at the edge of the Texas Medical Center and offers a contrast between modern-day Houston and its beginning as a muddy, backwoods town of early 19th century Texas and provides schoolchildren and other visitors with a glimpse of pioneer life in early Texas.
From Hwy 288 exit N. MacGregor Way and go south. Stay to the right to get onto Cambridge Street, then take a right at the light onto Hermann Park Dr. Go about 0.25 mile to parking lot for Zoo on left.
From the Zoo parking lot walk south on sidewalk along Hermann Park Drive to Cambridge Street. Cross to other side and go right to the Pioneer Memorial Log House on the left. Walk up the wooden ramp to the front porch, turn left and sit next to the top of the ramp on your left. Reach under the ramp for the microbox sitting on the concrete slab behind a rock. Please be discreet.