Camp Waul LbNA # 57031
|Placed Date||Feb 19 2011|
|Location||Gay Hill, TX|
|Last Found||Mar 14 2013|
Distance: 20 yards
Part of the "Other Forts of Texas" series.
Camp Waul was a Confederate States of America training camp, established near Gay Hill along New Year's Creek. It was named for Thomas Neville Waul, and the group became known as Waul's Legion. The soldiers were recruited from Brenham and organized on May 13, 1862. They trained at Camp Waul until August 18, 1862, when ordered into combat. The Camp had a good food supply, but lack of miltary arms. The soldiers endured a measles epidemic that affected 600 men, but not many died. Read the Historical Marker for more details on Waul's Legion.
From Hwy 36 north of Brenham, go left on Hwy 390 to Gay Hill. Turn left on CR 52 (Glenblythe Road). Go south to Waul's Legion Rd and turn right. Look for Historical Marker on the right in about 1 mile (over the fence). Stop along road just past marker.
To the Letterbox:
Go read the Marker. Then go left down the fence line to the 2nd large tree. Box wedged between the right two main trunks of the tree, about 4ft up, with stick covering.