Lipscomb Cemetery LbNA # 59077
|Placed Date||Aug 1 2011|
|Location||Lipscomb, Lipscomb, TX|
|Found By||Romo Who|
|Last Update||Sep 19 2011|
LIPSCOMB CEMETERY LETTERBOX
Directions to Letterbox: Going north on Hwy 305 into Lipscomb, turn east on Willow St./Co. Rd ‘T‘. Go 7 blocks to So. Sixth Avenue. Co. Rd ‘T’ curves to right, then left again. From that corner, go 7/10 of a mile east on Co. Rd 'T' and turn into gate at cemetery. Historical marker and flagpoles on left near gate. From the gate entry, walk west (left) outside the fence , past evergreens and yucca to the corner post. Box is behind a big chunk of concrete.
Information regarding Lipscomb Cemetery: Lipscomb County was created by the Texas legislature in 1876. The town of Lipscomb grew up around the post office and general store some ten years later. The community had already established the Lipscomb Cemetery when an infant, Fred Melhop was buried there in 1887. There were probably earlier burials there but Melhop's is the first marked grave. The cemetery is located east of the small town, which is the county seat of Lipscomb county.