REST IN PEACE #2 LbNA # 6090
|Placed Date||Oct 15 2003|
|Location||Old San Patricio, TX|
|Found By||Giant Eyeball!|
|Last Found||Aug 7 2015|
The Old Cemetery On The Hill in the community of San Patricio was there long before San Patricio itself. It was a burial ground in 1811 or before, in the Spanish regime of South Texas. The Irish colonists came in 1830, and San Patricio played an active and colorful part in the history of Texas Independance.
In 1828 empresarios John McMullen and James McGloin contracted with the government of Mexico to settle 200 Irish Catholic families on eighty leagues of land in the area. The first groups of families, recruited from the Irish population of New York, landed at El Copano and Matagorda in late 1829; two other groups soon followed. After a brief stopover at the old Refugio mission, the colonists proceeded to the north side of the Nueces River and established the town of San Patricio de Hibernia, named after the patron saint of Ireland. In 1834 the colony was legally established as the Municipality of San Patricio in the Mexican state of Coahuila and Texas. San Patricio County was established in 1836 by the Congress of the new Republic of Texas.
Turn on Magnolia Street, in front of St. Patrick's Catholic Church and drive to the 'Old Cemetery On The Hill'. From the large white cross walk roughly east to a pair of larger mesquite trees a little more than midway between the cross and the fence. The one on the left has a hole in the trunk, at about head heighth. the letterbox is inside covered over with bark.