Wimberley House LbNA # 62294
|Placed Date||Jun 22 2012|
|Last Found||Sep 28 2015|
|Last Edited||Sep 28 2015|
Terrain Difficulty: Easy (flat, 100 yards RT)
In 1857, William Winters built a stone cottage near his mill on Cypress Creek and lived there until his death in 1864. Successive resident millers were John Cude, Pleasant Wimberley and John Will Pyland, and the dwelling was continuously occupied as a residence for 140 years. It was restored and received an Official Texas Historic Subject Marker in 1999 and was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2002. The Winters-Wimberley House is leased to the Wimberley Institute of Cultures for development as a cultural and educational center and as a meeting facility for the community.
In downtown Wimberley, turn East at the light on Hwy 12 and River Road and drive by the historical Winters- Wimberley House on the left. Park nearby on the right or left before the Community Center.
Walk to the house and go around back. Walk up the steps to an old road, turn left and go 18 steps. Go right 10 steps to a large oak tree, then 4 more steps to another oak tree behind it. Microbox is at right base under rocks next to small tree adjacent to oak. Please replace as described and be discreet.