Doc Alderton's Drink LbNA # 63919
|Placed Date||Jan 24 2013|
|Location||Oakwood Cemetery, Waco, TX|
|Found By||Pub Crawler|
|Last Update||Oct 3 2014|
Terrain Difficulty: Easy (flat, 50 yards RT)
Recommended Ink: red
Dr. Pepper was formulated by Brooklyn-born pharmacist Charles Alderton and first served in 1885 at Wade Morrison's Old Corner Drug Store in Waco. When the product was offered to their fountain patrons as a test, the reaction was overwhelming. The drink caught on fast and soon customers were asking for "Doc Alderton's drink". Alderton gave the formula to Morrison who named it Dr Pepper, after the father of a girl he had once courted, and it is still one of the most popular sodas today. Charles Alderton is buried in Oakwood Cemetery, where this microbox also resides.
From I35 in Waco take Exit 335A and turn east onto South University Parks Dr. Go to La Salle Ave (Hwy 77) and turn right, then left on South 5th Street and drive into Oakwood Cemetery through main gate where it becomes Lacy Street. Go to Gurly Street and bear left then right to X intersection just before a sign for Section B-3 and park by Hackney stone on right.
Go to a large tree just to the right of Hackney stone and continue 20 steps behind it to grave of C.C. Alderton. After paying your respects and possibly toasting him with a Dr. Pepper, turn around and go back to the tree. The microbox is in a crevice about 1 foot high under sticks and leaves. Please be discreet and replace as described.