Dr. Pound LbNA # 64017
|Placed Date||Feb 12 2013|
|Location||Founders Park, Dripping Springs, TX|
|Last Found||Apr 3 2016|
Terrain Difficulty: Easy (flat, 400 yards RT)
Joseph M. Pound first came to Texas in 1847 to fight in the war against Mexico. He returned to Kentucky to pursue his medical education, but returned with his wife Sarah in 1853 to an untamed area of Central Texas where they built their house in present day Dripping Springs. As a founding family the Pounds were at the hub of community life, opening their house and grounds to serve as a medical office and hospital, church sanctuary, schoolhouse, and social gathering place. You can still see their place at the Dr. Pound Historic Farmstead and Museum at Founders Park and find this letterbox on a nearby trail.
From Hwy 290 go north on Fm 12 about 0.4 mile then right into Founders Park. Go to near end of road and park by the Farmstead on the right next to Katherine Berkley Cannon Heritage Trail.
Walk on the trail as it curves left then turns right to follow a barbed-wire fence. When it curves left and leaves the fence, continue 40 steps to just before a rock pile on the left. Go left off trail 18 steps to large multi-trunk cedar tree on left. Letterbox is within trunks under a rock and needles.