Kanokolus Bog Preserve Letterbox LbNA # 67195
|Placed Date||Jun 20 2014|
|Location||Kanokolus Bog Preserve, Unity, ME|
|Last Edited||Sep 14 2015|
Kanokolus Bog Letter Box Placement
Donated to the Sebasticook Regional Land Trust in 2011 by the Packard Family, the Kanokolus Bog Preserve spans 178 acres over upland and wetland areas.
Kanokolus Bog is a floating peat bog whose unique vegetation community is a product of growing in nutrient-stressed conditions. The bog is home to expanses of sheep laurel dwarf shrub bog and some partially wooded areas with black spruce, larch, and white cedar. The bog supports a number of wildlife populations including beavers, wood turtles, numerous bird species, and one of Central Maine’s largest Great Blue Heron rookeries along the southern edge of the bog.
The Kanokolus Bog is managed by the Sebasticook Regional Land Trust to protect valuable wildlife habitat and support public recreation.
From SRLT Office 93 Main St., Unity, ME:
Drive about 3.5 miles South on Rt 202/9 towards Albion. Kanokolus Bog Preserve will be on your left with a sign marking the area to park.
• Start down the trail on the right marked with blue blazes.
• Follow the trail through the woods for some time to the log bridges that cross over a small stream.
• Continue on the path as it winds by ferns, pine, cedar, and birch trees.
• Next you will come to a Pine Plantation, a vast expansive plantation of almost solely pine trees.
• Follow the trail through the plantation, staying left at the trail split to follow the blue blazes (the yellow trail cuts across to the snowmobile trail, and to the bog!)
• Next, you will emerge into an opening that used to be an old field, now growing in with early successional vegetation.
• Not far after the trail leads through the old field, you will pass by a big white tree with its top snapped off on your right.
• On your left you will then see an Aspen tree bending over the trail. At its base, a pole in the ground.
• You will find the letter box at the base of the pole and the trunk of the tree, hidden beneath 3 balanced stones.
Please return the box to the condition that you found it for the next adventurers to find! Thanks!