Mexican Cemetery LbNA # 67455
|Owner||CW Sun Seeker|
|Placed Date||Apr 11 2014|
|Location||Old Mexican Cemetery, Morenci, AZ|
|Last Update||Jun 14 2015|
The Old Mexican/Cathollic Cemetery is up where old Morenci used to be, not far from the west side of the open pit mine.
This old cemetery is all that remains of old Morenci. The rest of the town was either blasted away in the expansion of the open pit mine, or has been buried under mine waste. In 1983, Tony Enrico, a field surveyor for Phelps Dodge, said the cemetery would not be disturbed because "the surface indications show there is no mineralization of value there." Some burials go back to 1881, but no one has been recorded as being buried there since the 1945. The cemetery was about one and a quarter miles from old Morenci, and since there were no roads to it, 50 to 60 men lined up behind a coffin, taking turns carrying it to the cemetery and its final resting place.
Warning: The hill is steep, overgrown with cactus, and the cemetery is not maintained. Wear good shoes and clothes that won’t snag on mesquite.
The cemetery located off of Highway 191 (Coronado Trail) north of Morenci. It's about 3/4 of mile south of the scenic overlook for the open pit copper mine. From Morenci drive North on 191 and watch for the huge dump truck beds on the left, and on the right you can see a pipeline and the cemetery is beyond on the side of the hill.
Park at the north end of the cemetery. There are stairs over the pipeline. Take the stairs and follow the path up the hill. Go on past the twin cross markers for Esther Garcia and Martha Gonzales, on the right. Just above their location is a rock wall behind a rusty blank cross. If you are at the right spot, there will be a rusty heart up to the right. On top of the rock wall, on the right, is a larger, horizontal rock. The pouch is tucked behind it, under smaller rocks.
Please be discreet, zip all bags and pouch closed and rehide well among the rocks.