SoC#1: Greenback Cutthroat Trout LbNA # 6908
|Placed Date||Jan 11 2004|
|Location||Colorado Springs, CO|
|Found By||Mike n Amber|
|Last Found||Jun 10 2012|
* * * NOTE: As an update to the clues, Fuzzy Bunny reports in July 2011, "The path that goes to the left of the bridge has moved to the other side of the rock." * * *
Symbols of Colorado #1: Greenback Cutthroat Trout. This is the state fish of Colorado. Greenbacks originally lived in the mountain and foothill areas of the Arkansas and South Platte river systems in Colorado and part of Wyoming. Today, they exist in only about 5 percent of their original range and are listed as a threatened species. Thanks to preservation programs, Greenbacks are on their way to recovery.
Terrain: Easy. About a mile to the box over mostly level paths, but plan to spend some time driving there.
Directions: Reach Rampart Reservoir from Rampart Range Road. This can be accessed from Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, from Mt Herman Road out of Monument, or Rt 22 out of Woodland Park. See notes on driving to the trailhead. Find the Rainbow Gulch Trailhead about a mile and a half north of road 306, or about two and a half miles south of Loy Creek Road.
Clues: Follow the trail to the reservoir. Left where the path forks at the diversion dam. Left at the bridge. 65p past the bridge, sight a boulder at 120*. In a crack on the creek side, under a piece of granite, you might find a fish out of water.
- No inkpad or pencil in the box, make sure you bring your own.
- Rampart Range Road is a primary gravel road. It has some steep elevation changes and hairpin switchbacks with no guardrails. The views are breathtaking, but I recommend a 4 wheel drive vehicle. We arrived at the trailhead from Garden of the Gods, and it took about an hour and a half. We returned via Mt Herman Road into Monument. Mt Herman Road is more shaded from the sun and may be more snow-packed and slippery than if approaching from the south.
- This is at fairly high altitude, come prepared for sudden temperature and weather changes.
- Please do not ask me for additional hints without offering a bribe of unpublished clues, hitchhikers, etc.
- Please email me with notes about the box: email@example.com.