Forest Wonder LbNA # 8583 (ARCHIVED)
|Placed Date||Jun 5 2004|
|Last Found||Apr 29 2006|
8/10/2006: Sadly this box moved away for repairs, and its rocky home was appropriated by an opportunistic geocache like some kind of hermit crab.
This box is hidden at the Prairie Park Nature Center, a little gem tucked away on the East side of Lawrence. It's a great place to see a variety of natural habitats, and the nature center has a lot of fun stuff for the kids.
"Making Tracks West" is also hidden in this nature center.
The letterbox is accessible even when the Nature Center is closed. To see the nature center hours, and other information, check out their web site:
Difficulty: requires a 1/2 mile round trip walk on dirt trails.
Compass required: no
Directions to trailhead (2730 SW Harper):
- Go to Lawrence, and get on K-10 (from East or West)
- From K-10, turn South on Haskell
- From Haskell, turn left (East) on 27th Street
- From 27th street, turn right (South) on Harper
- Park in the nature center parking lot at 2730 Harper.
- Walk to the main entrance of the nature center. The trail starts at the small wooden bridge to the left of the glass doors.
Directions to box:
- Walk across the wooden bridge, and follow the path out into the wildflower meadow.
- When paths join this one, keep going straight and toward the woods.
- Enter the woods, and cross the creek on the wooden bridge.
- Turn right at the end of the wooden bridge, and walk through the forest for 3-4 minutes until you reach the edge of a clearing.
- About 50 steps out into the clearing, there is a tree on your left that stands out by itself from the woods. There is an evergreen tree growing next to it.
- The box is at the base of this tree, hidden under a rock in the weeds.